The tag #firstworldproblems has been making it’s rounds for quite some time now. If you don’t know, it’s basically the issues we have living in a first world country. The silly things we get upset over. I.e. not having internet for 2 days. For me, that’s similar to torture. I love #firstworldproblems cause it kind of reminds you where your priorities lie in the scope of things. It’s also a bit of a chuckle when you think about the fact that, in all honesty, those stupid #firstworldproblems matter to us.
Of course, living in Japan (a first world country), I’ve uncovered some interesting problems that cause me grief regularly. If I sit back and think about these problems on a whole, I should probably admit they are simply #firstworldproblems.
So, here’s my list of fresh #firstworldproblems acquired in the Land of the Rising Sun.
- Topping up my subway card – I am forever 10yen away from getting through that ticket barrier.
- A vending machine conveniently placed in the middle of nowhere that conveniently doesn’t have what I’m looking for – WTF how could this machine NOT have Boss coffee with Hokkaido milk?! The nerve.
- Grocery stores that are more than a 10 minute walk away – you mean I have to drive there? In my eco-car? You’ve got to be joking.
- Learning all news in America from Facebook, moments after it occurs – I’m only getting part of the story.
- Having to wait 3 to 6 months for a movie release – I could just download it by now. Thanks for nothing, Japan.
- I have to take a plane to Hokkaido? – They can’t just build a bullet train? Get with the times.
- I forgot to bring my charger to school - Now what am I going to do. Study with a bunch of bound papers (“book”)? Ugh, I’m so bored.
- No cell coverage in this cabbage patch? – I thought bad coverage was a thing of the past and bad TV commercials! Why do I live in the middle of nowhere. I need my streaming music now. It’s too quiet.
- Only the rooms are heated? – You mean, I have to walk through that cold hallway for seconds between classes. Who are you people?!
- And my biggest issue: Dropped Skype calls – For goodness sake, we’re only 6,000 miles away from each other! Get it together, Skype!